My cousin is getting married on Labor Day weekend in a location I can drive to in less than 4 hours. (NY between the City and Poughkeepsie). It would be an opportunity for my kid to meet some of his aunties he'll otherwise not get to meet except at the next
wedding. Or more likely, funeral. :P But. It's not a wedding that is inviting kids.
I'm trying to figure out how I can have Crime Fighter come and meet family and have care for him for the not-kid-invited parts (Saturday and Sunday nights) in a town where I know nobody. Everyone showing up will sort of want to attend this event. It's a Destination Location, so no actual local family there at all. So. Options...
- Forget it. Just leave him home.
- Forget it. Just stay home. (rather not)
- Find babysitter from that vicinity: This isn't entirely impossible. The venue may be able to help here, AND I have family in the Poughkeepsie area that includes an Aunt who knows a ton of reliable teenagers who might be interested in making some money. We will be an hour from her/that network, though. Not entirely easy sell. Especially since I need coverage for Saturday and Sunday evenings.
- Pipe Dream: currently local cousin (child of Poughkeepsie Aunt) comes with me. She may be busy. It's moving season and she's in temp housing this summer and not clear on what her fall holds. I'm waiting for a definitive answer here.
- Import a babysitter from here. This is someone who is available, reliable, someone I can afford, and enjoy that person's company for much of 72 hours. That includes 3 hour road trips with a pre-schooler. Possibly involves sharing a hotel room with my snoring-self. ... Or spring for a second hotel room, and it suddenly becomes hilariously too expensive.
So. I don't remotely think Option 5 will materialize, but I'm asking because if you don't ask, you don't get. If someone reading this fits option 5 or can recommend someone, let me know.
If you have an option 6, I'd be happy to hear it.